This Week's Hot Headlines
Editor’s note: Another week has come and gone, and there’s a lot we all probably missed. But we’re looking out for you, kid. Here are the most popular stories from this past week:
1. This Dallas suburb is America's most affordable place to live. Pack your bags, y’all, we’re moving north. According to a new survey from NerdWallet, Plano is the most affordable city in the United States.
2. New Deep Ellum bar High & Tight takes speakeasy idea to hairy new place. A new bar coming to Deep Ellum this summer is in a class by itself. Called High & Tight, it’s a combination barbershop and speakeasy, a concept not yet seen in Deep Ellum — or all of Dallas, for that matter.
3. Updated midcentury feels like a retreat in one of Dallas’ most convenient 'hoods. You know what we need more of in this town? Homes that make you happy and cheerful, even on rainy days. And 11316 Valleydale Dr. in North Dallas does just that.
4. Dallas restaurant team concocts feel-good Sugarbacon in sweet suburban spot. After more than 30 years in the restaurant industry, hospitality veteran Johnny Carros is breaking out on his own with a new restaurant in McKinney called Sugarbacon Proper Kitchen.
5. Young speaker nearly upstages Laura Bush at important Dallas luncheon. Friends of Wednesday’s Child, an organization dedicated to transforming the lives of children in foster care through education, celebrated its 31st anniversary with its annual luncheon at the Meyerson Symphony Center. The former first lady was the keynote speaker.