Editor's note: A lot happened this week, so here's your chance to get caught up. Read on for the week's most popular headlines.
1. Texas' largest crystal lagoon makes waves as cool new summer vacation spot. Texans looking to make a splash — but with a healthy distance from others — will have a chance to dive into a massive island-style getaway this summer. A 12-acre lagoon has opened to the public during the limited-capacity Summer Lagoonfest at Lago Mar in Texas City (in the Houston area) from July 15 through September 13.
2. 16 best new restaurants in Dallas compete for Tastemaker title — vote now. The 2020 CultureMap Tastemaker Awards, our annual event honoring the best in local food and drink, puts the spotlight on the best bars, best neighborhood restaurants, and rising star chefs. For Best New Restaurant, you get to decide via our Tastemaker tournament, a bracket-style competition where 16 new restaurants go head to head. To vote, click here. (Don't delay: Round 2 voting ends July 18.)
3. Neighborhood Italian restaurant in Dallas' Lakewood closes after 11 years. Dallas' Lakewood neighborhood loses an Italian treasure: Penne Pomodoro restaurant, which has been in the very heart of Lakewood for 11 years, has closed. A spokesperson for Lombardi Family Concepts, the restaurant's owner, confirmed that the restaurant closed on July 15.
4. Fitness center where Shakira got her abs makes Texas debut in Plano. A new fitness concept founded by a celebrity trainer has made its Texas debut. AKT, which stands for Anna Kaiser Technique, is a dance-based cardio fitness brand that has opened a new studio in Plano, at 1900 Preston Rd. at the hot hot intersection of Park Boulevard.
5. Dallas pizza chain expands turf to an Addison address with pizza history. Coronavirus may have Dallas restaurants down and out but openings are still going on, including a new location for local pizza chain Zalat Pizza, which will expand its realm to Addison. The restaurant is going into a space at 4980 Belt Line Rd., #180 that has a history with pizza.