Editor's note: A lot happened this week, so here's your chance to get caught up. Read on for the week's most popular headlines.
1. Homes in Dallas' Lake Highlands neighborhood hit jaw-dropping new benchmark. You can’t call it sticker shock if the seal has already been broken, so to see more and more homes in Dallas' Lake Highlands area listed for $1 million or more speaks to a growing trend toward high-end remodels and flips. In fact, remodeled homes specifically within the White Rock Valley neighborhood and the highly sought-after White Rock Elementary attendance area are commanding prices upwards of $1 million on a frequent basis.
2. 2 freeway closures go down in Dallas, one temporary, one not so much. Two major freeway closures are happening in Dallas. One involves a closure that began last weekend. The other represents a closure that will last all summer. Dallas Love Field is also soliciting input on a possible new entrance. Here is your transportation roundup.
3. One of Uptown Dallas' most enduring bars closes due to COVID-19. A longtime Uptown Dallas staple has been felled by the coronavirus: Christies Sports Bar & Grill, which has been on McKinney Avenue for nearly 30 years, is closing its doors. Owner Ashton Christie said in a statement that, "We will not be reopening due to COVID-19 and lack of cooperation from our landlord. We love you, Dallas. Stay tuned."
4. These 10 Dallas restaurants dish out the best queso in town. Queso is one of those hot topics that people love to debate. Maybe because there are so many ways to do it. These 10 restaurants serve the best queso in town. The winner of the CultureMap Tastemaker Award for Best Queso will be announced on July 30 at our Virtual Party.
5. Dallas' newest amusement: A company that lets you play with bulldozers. There's a new entertainment option coming to the Dallas area that's perfect for anyone who's watched a laborer operating a bulldozer and thought, "Boy, that looks like fun." Called Extreme Sandbox, it's described as a heavy-equipment adventure company, and will open a location at The Station in Sachse.