Editor's note: A lot happened this week, so here's your chance to get caught up. Read on for the week's most popular headlines.
1. Longtime restaurant at Dallas' Belmont Hotel will close after a decade. The smoke is going out at the Belmont Hotel. The restaurant Smoke, which has been at the West Dallas hotel since 2009, will close on December 15, when it gets acquired by the hotel owners.
2. Dallas bar from hot Deep Ellum team blows up patio and cocktails on tap. Is December the right time to break out patio news? In Dallas, yes, where patios are relevant 24-7 — especially when the patio is as major as the one you'll find at Toller Patio Bar, an exciting new venture from the team behind Hide in Deep Ellum.
3. New Plano movie theater goes to the dogs for date nights with pups. K9 Cinemas, a new movie theater in Plano, will bring the movie theater experience to a clientele that its owner says is underserved: dogs.
4. Philanthropic powerhouse Lynn McBee will run for mayor of Dallas. A surprising name has surfaced as a candidate for Dallas mayor: philanthropic powerhouse Lynn McBee. An educator and longtime civic leader, McBee filed paperwork on December 7. The mayoral election will take place on May 4, 2019.
5. Healthy Flower Child chain plants a new restaurant in Uptown Dallas. A hugely popular healthy restaurant chain is coming to the center of the universe, IE Uptown Dallas: Flower Child, the happy-healthy restaurant concept from Arizona-based Fox Restaurant Group, will unfurl its latest location in Uptown at Rosewood Court, at 2101 Cedar Springs Rd.