Some DART rail lines will see delays over Memorial Day holiday in Dallas
If your Memorial Day weekend plans include traveling on the DART Rail, then you'll want to leave a little early. Not super duper early. Just a little earlier. A skosh.
Why: Dallas Area Rapid Transit warns that repairs on a downtown bridge will create delays in the schedule for Red or Blue line trains as well as the Dallas Streetcar.
The city of Dallas will be making repairs to the Houston Street Viaduct Bridge, directly above Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART) rail tracks between Union Station and Convention Center Station.
The repairs will begin on Saturday, May 26 at 5 am, and continue through Monday, May 28. They will cause the following changes:
- Northbound Red and Blue line passengers will exit their trains at Convention Center and take shuttle buses to Union Station to board Blue Line trains. Transfers to northbound Red Line trains will be available at West End Station.
- Southbound Blue Line passengers will exit their train at Union Station and take shuttle buses to Convention Center to re-board Blue Line trains to UNT-Dallas Station.
- Southbound Red Line passengers will exit their train at West End Station, board Blue Line trains to Union Station, then take shuttle buses to Convention Center to board the Red Line to Westmoreland (note to TRE riders: these Red Line trains will terminate at Victory Station, maintaining the transfer connection on Saturday, May 26).
- The Dallas Streetcar will be replaced by bus shuttles at all stops on all three days.
Vehicular traffic on the viaduct, including buses, will not be affected. Normal rail operations are expected to resume on Tuesday, May 29.
According to a DART spokesperson, the city of Dallas has contracted with Gibson and Associates, Inc. for concrete deck and beam repairs to the Houston Street Viaduct Bridge adjacent and above DART tracks. Repairs will be made on the deck (underside) of the bridge and its girders.
The repairs required a full shutdown of the tracks in the area for a 3-day continuous timeframe, to ensure worker safety and safety to the public and DART, not to mention maximizing the efficiency of the job. And so Memorial Day weekend it was.
Other holiday weekend changes include:
- DART buses and trains will follow a Sunday schedule on Memorial Day.
- GoLink and the Trinity Railway Express will not operate on Memorial Day.
- DART’s Paratransit services will run a Saturday schedule and the Paratransit Scheduling Center will be closed. Customers should call on Friday May 25, to book their trips through Tuesday May 29. Next-day weekend voicemail booking and X-Press Booking will also be available.
- On-Call and Flex Service will not run on Memorial Day; service will resume May 29.
DART’s Customer Information Center will be open from 8 am-5 pm at 214-979-1111 for trip-planning needs. The administrative offices and the Customer Care Center, which handles complaints, commendations, suggestions, and Lost and Found, will be closed.