Labor Day weekend promises to be an obstacle course of sorts, as there are a number of road closures going down. There's also an updated holiday schedule for DART, and holiday free rides from Lyft.
Here is all your traffic and transportation news for the Labor Day weekend and beyond:
Two right lanes of eastbound I-30 between Fort Worth Avenue and Beckley Avenue will be closed nightly from 9 pm-5 am each night on Tuesday, September 4; Wednesday, September 5; and Thursday, September 6.
All lanes will be open as usual by 5 am on Friday, September 7.
The westbound Woodall Rodgers ramp to southbound I-35E will be closed nightly from Tuesday, September 4 through Friday, September 7. Also, various ramps, frontage roads, and southbound lanes on I-35, between Hi Line Drive and I-30, will be closed for construction activities on the Lowest Stemmons project.
These are the closures scheduled to take place overnight on September 4-7, from 9 pm-5 am:
- Southbound I-35E — various lanes closed including the Woodall Rodgers connection to southbound I-35E
- Southbound I-35E frontage road between Continental Avenue and Commerce Street including the entrance ramp from Continental Avenue to southbound I-35E
- Northbound I-35E Continental Avenue entrance ramp
- Southbound Continental Avenue exit ramp from I-35E
These are the daytime closures on September 4-8 from 9 am-4 pm:
- Reunion Boulevard entrance ramp to eastbound I-30
- Southbound I-35E frontage road between Inspiration Drive and Continental Avenue, south of Hi Line Drive, is estimated to remain closed until late Fall 2018.
- The Pennsylvania Avenue entrance ramp to southbound I-45 will close for an extended period of time beginning Tuesday, September 4 at 9 am, and will remain closed until the new ramp and connectors to I-45 are completed in the summer of 2019. Traffic will continue on the southbound frontage road and will utilize the Lamar Street entrance ramp to gain access to southbound I-45. This closure is a part of the reconstruction and configuration of the SM Wright phase 1 project to build the new connectors between I-45 to US 175.
DART's Labor Day hours
Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART) will operate a modified schedule for Monday, September 3:
- DART bus, light rail and Dallas streetcar services will follow a Sunday schedule.
- The Trinity Railway Express commuter rail will not operate.
- DART's administrative offices, Customer Care Center, and Lost and Found will be closed.
Customers with questions about schedules can contact DART's Customer Information Center at 214-979-1111 from 8 am-5 pm.
The Dallas Police Department will conduct a No-Refusal DWI Initiative over the Labor Day Holiday. If you refuse to voluntarily give a breath or blood sample, officers will secure a search warrant for a blood sample. That ends at midnight on September 3.
This Labor Day, Lyft will help DFW residents celebrate responsibly by providing $50,000 in free rides across the state.
These rides are part of Lyft's commitment to reduce drinking and driving through its Ride Smart TX program, launched in May over Cinco de Mayo and recently activated over the 4th of July.
Texans can claim their free Lyft ride (up to $10 discount) by applying code RIDESMARTLD in the Lyft app (offer valid August 31 at 12 pm-September 3 at 11:59 pm). You get one free ride up to $10.
"Labor Day festivities create a busy weekend for DFW’s roads,” states Yohan Bobcombe, DFW manager, in a release. "Data shows that 36 percent of Labor Day weekend fatalities involved an alcohol-impaired driver, and Lyft is committed to doing our part to combat this statistic and encourage responsible choices through our Ride Smart TX program."
For further details on the Ride Smart TX program, Lyft’s blog post is accessible here.