In anticipation of the arrival of the 2018 State Fair of Texas, Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART) is adding additional rail service that will begin on Monday, September 24 and run through Sunday, October 21, the final day of the fair.
The State Fair of Texas actually starts Friday, September 28, but a DART spokesperson says that they always initiate the schedule early.
"We need to get the operators and staff trained and the timing of all the additional light rail cars down before all the customers arrive," the spokesperson says.
During that time, there will be one exception: Saturday, October 6, which is the day of the annual Red River Showdown, the annual game between OU and UT. For that day, DART will operate a special schedule, which will be announced only after the kickoff time is announced.
DART Rail and buses are extra busy on Fair days. During the State Fair run, the agency carries an additional 2+ million customers on its buses and trains.
DART will make the following changes beginning Monday, September 24:
- Green Line: Extra Green Line trains between Victory and Lawnview stations from 9:30 am-3:30 pm weekdays, and 9:30 am-7 pm weekends. All trips will feature 3-car trains.
- Orange Line: The Orange Line will be extended to Parker Road on all trips, weekdays and weekends (except for Saturday, October 6).
- Weekend service: Added Green and Blue line service after 7 pm Saturdays and Sundays.
- Extra buses: There'll be additional buses assigned to Routes 60 and 409 on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays, and Mondays. Route 60 runs from the South Garland Transit Center to downtown Dallas Union Station. Route 409 runs from the Medical District to South Dallas. But what's special about these two is that they both go right by Fair Park: Route 60 makes a connection from downtown Union Station to Fair Park, while 409 makes a connection from Cityplace to Fair Park. The Fair Park stop for both routes is at Parry and Exposition.
- TRE Sundays. Trinity Railway Express (TRE) will operate on all four Sundays during the fair.
The Green Line is the line that goes to Fair Park. All DART Rail and Trinity Railway Express (TRE) passengers can transfer easily to the Green Line. Trains going to the fair will say "Fair Park," "Buckner," or "Lawnview."
- Orange Line passengers from Irving transfer to the Green Line at Bachman Station.
- Southbound Orange, Red, and Blue line passengers transfer at Pearl/Arts District or St. Paul stations.
- Northbound Red and Blue line passengers transfer at Akard Station.
- TRE passengers transfer to the Green Line at Victory Station. Details are at TrinityRailwayExpress.org.
- Customers using the Denton County Transportation Authority (DCTA) should check DCTA.net for departure and arrival times and to ensure smooth connections at Trinity Mills Station to DART's Green Line. The DCTA will be adjusting their schedules during the fair.
Tickets and GoPass app
Purchase a Local Day Pass for $6, good for DART Rail, local buses, and riding the TRE from CentrePort Station.
Tarrant and Denton County customers need a Regional Day Pass for $12.
Purchase passes at ticket vending machines at all DART and TRE stations or on the GoPass app available for both Apple and Android.