This Week's Hot Headlines
Dallas restaurant's fat check for gun reform packs heat as top story of week
Editor's note: A lot happened this week, so here's your chance to get caught up. Read on for the week's most popular headlines.
1. Dallas restaurant targeted by NRA writes fat check for gun reform group. Ellen's, the popular Southern restaurant in Dallas' West End restaurant that made international news after a run-in with the NRA, is putting its money where its mouth is, by making a sizable donation to an organization dedicated to reducing gun violence.
2. East Dallas neighborhood restaurant takes break after founder dies. A beloved East Dallas neighborhood restaurant breakfast destination has closed temporarily, following the death of its founder. The Goldrush Cafe is closing to mark the passing of Virgil Sanchez, Sr., who passed away on May 3.
3. 17 Dallas-Fort Worth companies land on Forbes' list of best employers. Despite recent high-profile troubles, Southwest Airlines leads a list of the 17 big companies in Dallas-Fort Worth that employees love the most. Southwest has landed at No. 13 on Forbes magazine’s list of the best major U.S. employers for 2018.
4. Where to shop in Dallas right now: 8 must-hit stores for May. From independent beauty brands to flip-flops made in Dallas, there are a whole host of products and stores to be recognized (and shopped) in May. Here's where to head with your handbag, just in time for Mother's Day gifting.
5. New hotel by Dallas Galleria debuts with tapas and grapefruit mojitos. A new hotel has opened near Galleria Dallas with some millennial flash, cool rooms, and last but not least, grapefruit mojitos on tap. The AC Hotel and Residence Inn Dallas by the Galleria is a new dual-branded property that sits just east of the Galleria by about a block, making it literally walking distance to shopping, shopping, and more shopping.