This Week's Hot Headlines
Closure of Love Field-area diner leads this week's 5 hottest Dallas headlines
Editor's note: A lot happened this week, so here's your chance to get caught up. Read on for the week's most popular headlines.
1. Mockingbird Diner near Dallas Love Field closes due to staffing issues. An indie home-cooking style restaurant across from Love Field has closed. Mockingbird Diner, which opened in December 2017 with a menu featuring Texan dishes such as chicken-fried steak, closed on May 31, per a Facebook post by manager Jack Perkins, with the simple words: "She gone."
2. Dallas chef Avner Samuel opens new restaurant in tricky location. The words "Avner is back" have been typed many times, and now, like a scene out of the film Groundhog Day, they're being typed once again. Chef Avner Samuel is reopening Nosh Bistro, the last restaurant he had in Dallas, this time at 8611 Hillcrest Rd., at the northwest corner of Northwest Highway.
3. Whataburger issues new merch including running shoes and pillows. Given the insatiable appetite for all things Whataburger, it should come as no surprise that the Texas-based burger monolith has come up with not only things to eat but things to wear. The company has issued a new collection of merchandise, which they're promoting as potential gifts for Father's Day.
4. Dallas police find transgender woman murdered in White Rock Lake. The Dallas Police Department is asking the public for assistance regarding the murder of another transgender female, and has called in the FBI to consult. On June 1, at approximately 5:32 pm, Chynal Lindsey, a transgender female from Arlington, was found in White Rock Lake, at 4100 W. Lawther Dr.
5. Uptown Dallas hotel occupies top spot among Texas’ most lucrative lodgings. The Ritz-Carlton, Dallas has retained its crown as the top moneymaking hotel in Texas, according to a new report. The report, issued by San Antonio-based Source Strategies Inc., shows that based on revenue per available room (RevPAR) — a key financial indicator in the hotel industry — the Ritz-Carlton ranked as the most lucrative Texas hotel in the first quarter of this year.