Editor’s note: Another week has come and gone, and there’s a lot we all probably missed. But we’re looking out for you, kid. Here are the most popular stories from this past week:
1. Top Fort Worth pizza joint discloses truth about most popular cocktail. Texas weather demands a refreshing libation practically year-round, and there’s none more refreshing than a grapefruit rickey. Turns out this is the most popular cocktail at Fort Worth’s Thirteen Pies, so we asked head bartender John Cocke to show us how it’s done.
2. Who will be the next CultureMap Stylemaker? Vote now. We are celebrating Dallas’ most fashionable men and women in our second annual Stylemaker Awards. We solicited nominations from our readers, and then a panel of judges selected these semifinalists to move into the voting round. Vote for your favorite once a day, every day, until September 20. The top six contenders will then move on to the finals for another vote that begins September 30.
3. Where to eat in Dallas right now: 10 top restaurants for fried fare. In September, one’s thoughts turn to a certain category of food: the fried kind. Blame the State Fair of Texas. For our September edition of Where To Eat, we follow their lead with some high-end fried food offerings at restaurants around Dallas-Fort Worth.
4. Uptown Dallas’ original patio restaurant brings brunch to Lakewood crossroads. It’s more brunch for Lakewood with an unusual expansion of famed Quadrangle restaurant Dream Cafe, opening in the Hillside Village Shopping Center at the northeast corner of Mockingbird Lane and Abrams Road, in fall 2015. The Dream takes over the old Fuzzy’s Taco, which departed suddenly in July.
5. Popular Uptown Dallas hang makes way for meet-up friendly new bar. After two years in the Uptown Dallas jungle, the end has come for Boxwood T&G, the bar that some will recall as the former TABC space. But an even better new bar will rise in its wake: City Council, so named for its ambition to be a meeting-friendly place.