Hottest headlines of 2023
Mall demolition and time-capsule homes top hottest Dallas real estate headlines of 2023
Editor's note: As the year comes to a close, we look back at the 10 most-read real estate stories in Dallas for 2023 — including time-capsule homes, buzziest housing markets, and the unfortunate demise of a Dallas icon.
1. Site of former Valley View Mall in Dallas meets sad unfortunate end. A once-beloved North Dallas mall met its timely ending: The former Valley View Mall at LBJ Freeway and Preston Road saw demolition begin on March 16, putting an end to nearly a decade of inept waffling.
2. Untouched Dallas house for sale from the '50s is a wood-paneled temple. Times were tough last spring for Dallas Redfin-watchers who love '50s homes for sale that were still in original, untouched condition. But hark — there was a house for sale in East Dallas in February that had not yet been decimated by a "to the studs" update.
Front of the home at 10212 Pinecrest Dr. images.estately.net
3. North Texas town boasts 5th hottest ZIP code in U.S. for buyers, report says. A small town east of Dallas was a big magnet for homebuyers. Forney, in fact, boasted one of the hottest ZIP codes in the country. According to OpenDoor’s latest Hottest ZIP Codes in America report, Forney's 75126 was the fifth most popular ZIP code for buyers around the U.S. last year.
4. Grab this '60s East Dallas home with only one owner before flippers get it. A '60s house in East Dallas with only one owner that was basically untouched was on the market in March at a great deal of a price. Located at 2323 Homeway Cir., it was a three-bedroom, two-bathroom home built in 1969, with 1,802 square feet and an attached two-car garage.
5. HGTV's No Demo Reno seeks homeowners north of Dallas for design makeover. In March, a buzzy HGTV show was seeking participants: No Demo Reno, the renovation series hosted by Jenn Todryk, AKA the "Rambling Redhead," was casting homeowners who lived north of Dallas. Way north.
Jenn Todryk hanging out in the bathroom. Instagram
6. North Dallas neighbor takes new title as No. 1 U.S. housing market, report says. When it came to places to buy a house this year, you couldn't do any better than McKinney. So said WalletHub's highly anticipated 2023 report on the best real estate markets in the U.S. The study, released August 22, named McKinney the No. 1 most attractive real estate market in the country. It was followed closely by No. 2-ranked Frisco.
7. Time capsule home with wild tiled bathrooms for sale in Dallas' Lakewood. In August, a rare Dallas real estate find was on the market: A beautiful home designed by famed architect Cliff Hutsell and built in 1932 that was in nearly original condition. Located at 7226 Lakewood Blvd., it was an original Spanish Eclectic time capsule near White Rock Lake.
Custom tile work at the entrance of 7226 Lakewood Blvd. gives a hint to what's within. Photo courtesy of Zillow
8. Dallas buyers must earn this much more to afford a starter home in 2023. An August income analysis by online real estate brokerage Redfin revealed just how much more a potential homeowner needed to earn this year to afford a "starter home" in Dallas: $72,885, which is 10.6 percent more income than was required in 2022.
9. Magnificent mansion next to 'Mount Vernon' on White Rock Lake listed for $12M. A stunning, resort-style mansion next to the iconic "Mount Vernon" estate on Dallas' White Rock Lake went on the market February 17 for $11,995,000. Situated on a 1.49-acre gated lot at 4033 W. Lawther Dr., the 10,000+ square foot home has dreamy views and ultra-luxurious interior and exterior appointments.
This home at 4033 W. Lawther Dr. is for sale for $11,995,000. Courtesy of Dave Perry Miller Real Estate
10. 3 Dallas neighbors make list of the buzziest bargain suburbs in the U.S. Life in Dallas may not be as affordable as it used to. But three cities in the DFW area are still a bargain, according to a November report on "The Top 20 Fastest-Growing Affordable U.S. Suburbs." DFW suburbs Little Elm and Burleson both made the top 10, while Rockwall came in at No. 20.