The roast beef is on in East Dallas: Top Round, the quick-serve concept from Los Angeles, will open its location at 4800 Bryan Ave. on August 3.
Dallas is the fourth location for this chef-driven restaurant, following locations in such important cities as Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Irvine, California. Well, actually it's the fifth; Top Round opened a location at Toyota Music Factory in Irving in 2018, but that closed in 2019.
East Dallas will likely be a better location, especially at this intersection, which has become a foodie zone of sorts with destinations such as Jimmy's Italian, Khao Noodle Shop, Pickletopia, and La Popular Tamale House all nearby.
The menu offers American classics with a twist and with a very handmade approach that includes slow roasting their Angus beef top rounds for more than 10 hours, roasting mushrooms, caramelizing onions, and double-breading the pickle juice/buttermilk brined chicken breast.
House-made sauces include the signature Round sauce, that's described in a release as a little sweet, a little tangy, and similar to barbecue sauce. Other sauce options include spicy mustard, sriracha mayo, buffalo sauce, horseradish cream, and cheese wizz, a cheddar-based cheese sauce crafted in-house that can be added to any sandwich or side.
Menu standouts include:
- Horse & Hole with roast beef, mushrooms, horseradish cream, Provel cheese, and sesame bun
- Buffalo Chicken with lettuce, tomato, ranch, and buffalo sauce
- Pastrami Burger with grilled pastrami, Provel cheese, arugula, and onions
- Wizz Burger with house-made cheese wizz and caramelized onions
Sides include curly fries with gravy, Provel cheese, caramelized onions, and round sauce; and cheese tots covered in cheese wizz.
The restaurant is in a 2800-square-foot space with two patios, an indoor/outdoor bar, a to-go window, and the first full bar for the Top Round brand.
It's coming to Dallas via local owner/operator Jason Napolitan, who spent two years working to open in this area.
He's expanded the menu to include vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free options such as:
- Buffalo Cauliflower with crispy cauliflower, lettuce, tomato, ranch, buffalo sauce, and a sesame bun.
- Veggie Cali – a big salad mix with ranch, tomato, onion, avocado, sesame bun, and option to add a Beyond Beef patty or gluten-free bun.
- Kale Slaw Salad with shredded kale and cabbage, candied pecans, dried cranberries, honey mustard, and poppy seed dressing.
- Our Big Salad with green apples, candied pecans, and blue cheese, with choice of dressing.
Top Round ice cream custard uses product from a California dairy that will be shipped to Texas and made fresh daily. Desserts include banana cream pie with bananas, Nilla Wafers, brownie, and whipped cream; the Turtle with praline pecans, brownie and caramel; the Pretzel PB Crunch with Reese’s Pieces, pretzels, and Hershey’s chocolate syrup. They'll also have pistachio flavored shakes.
The bar includes local beers, an impressive wine list, and familiar cocktails with a twist, such as frozen Whiskey Coke made with Matthew McConaughey’s Wild Turkey Longbranch Whiskey and Coca-Cola.