Another Kung Fu Controversy

Kung Fu Saloon under fire again as Austin employee charged in brutal attack on patron

Kung Fu Saloon Austin employee charged in brutal attack on patron

Austin Photo Set: places_drinks_kungfusaloon_exterior
Kung Fu Saloon is under fire — again. Courtesy photo

Kung Fu Saloon, the bar famous for arcade games and for enforcing dress code policies that patrons have criticized as racist, is under fire once again. The Austin Police Department launched an investigation following a November 16 attack on 23-year-old San Antonio man Joey O'Hare, which left him unconscious and lying in a pool of blood on the Kung Fu patio in the capital city.

On November 25, APD issued an arrest warrant for Robert Camillone, 24, an employee of Kung Fu. According to the affidavit, security footage shows Camillone wrapping his arms around the victim's neck, rendering him unconscious. At that point, Camillone drops O'Hare on his face.

An APD spokesperson said the attack appeared unprovoked. O'Hare's family has sued Kung Fu Saloon, claiming negligence.

According to KVUE, O'Hare was in Austin to spend time with childhood friends. The group went to dinner and then migrated over to Kung Fu. In an interview with KVUE, O'Hare's friend Adriana Chavez said she didn't witness the attack but walked outside immediately after and found O'Hare unconscious. 

O'Hare, who is currently in the Intensive Care Unit at University Medical Center Brackenridge, has undergone two brain surgeries. Speaking with KVUE, O'Hare's parents, Joseph and Sylvia, said he is a graduate of St. Mary's University and recently spent time as a finance intern in New York City. 

Kung Fu has yet to issue a formal statement, but did release the following to KVUE: 

The safety of our customers is always our highest priority. We appreciate APD's assistance with this and wish the best to Mr. O'Hare and everyone affected.

If convicted of felony assault, Camillone faces up to 20 years in prison. His bail has been set at $50,000.