This Week's Hot Headlines
Editor’s note: Another week has come and gone, and there’s a lot we all probably missed. But we’re looking out for you, kid. Here are the most popular stories from this past week:
1. New restaurant plies pitas and patio on Dallas' Oak Lawn Avenue. A new restaurant specializing in Lebanese food is opening on Oak Lawn Avenue, in a space that used to serve vegan hot dogs. Called Open Sesame Grill, it will take over the space at 2615 Oak Lawn Ave., which was most recently occupied by Samson's Hot Dogs.
2. Dallas police seek help on brutal assault of theater director Derek Whitener. On January 14, Derrick Whitener, artistic director at the Firehouse Theatre and a longtime area costume designer, was assaulted in the parking lot at the CityPlace Target by two suspects who beat him in the head with a wooden rod. Dallas Police Department are seeking information on the suspects.
3. The most popular kitchen remodeling trends for 2017. If your New Year’s resolution was to eat healthier or cook more, a remodeled kitchen could help you succeed, according to the fourth annual Houzz kitchen trends report. The home design platform polled homeowners who recently upgraded their kitchens to gauge the most popular trends — and discovered a healthy side benefit.
4. Rare Highland Park modern home hits market with magical updates. Most homebuyers are attracted to West Highland Park for the undeniable Americana charm that pulsates through every street — think traditional and Tudor homes galore. However, sometimes you just want something a little different.
5. This is how much of your salary is required for a down payment in Dallas. As more and more people move to Texas and Dallas and home values continue to soar, buyers are having a tough time playing the real estate game. The main impediment is having enough cash for a down payment, which nowadays can deplete even the most well-intentioned savings account.