A sports bar with a lotta something extra is now open in Frisco. Called Trophy Park USA, it's located at The Star where it's bringing upscale cuisine, craft cocktails, and numerous family-friendly entertainment options.
That includes two patios, bowling, bocce ball, live music, and interactive gaming, with private gaming booths and access to interactive gaming consoles.
It'll also come loaded with TVs, including a large outdoor patio screen, meaning that you won't have to buy a ticket to the game to cheer on the Dallas Cowboys.
A release calls the menu both "creative and multi-cuisine." The kitchen is headed by executive chef Johnathon Pauley, whose name takes some bold liberties with the traditional "Jonathan" spelling, in that it both adds an "H" at the beginning to look like John, and also has an "O" at the end, because the "H" was not enough. That's courage.
Pauley is only 29 but his experience already includes opening several restaurants including Water Grill Orange County, Water Grill Dallas, and J2 Steakhouse, as executive chef.
Menu highlights include starters such as:
- Kung pao cauliflower, with soy, rock candy, arbol chili, peanuts and scallions
- Confit potstickers, with ginger sesame beurre blanc
- Venison meatballs, with bourbon demi-glace, bleu cheese, micro shiso, romesco
There are also "handhelds" — the restaurant world's new word for "sandwiches" — including brisket tacos and a short rib grilled cheese, with pepper jack, bacon onion jam, charred tomato and fries.
The menu has a sporty theme. For example, main dishes are called "big plays." They include:
- King crab legs with steamed potato and coleslaw
- Arctic char with asparagus
- Smoked tenderloin with beet-whipped potatoes, sunchoke chips, and broccolini
Big sharing dishes are called "hail Marys" and include:
- Tomahawk 42-ounce rib eye served with roasted garlic and grilled lemon, but wow, those seem like rather skimpy side dishes
- Seafood tower with oysters, shrimp ceviche, lobster, king crab, poached shrimp, steamed mussels, and clams
- Trophy platter with tomahawk ribeye, hot dog, cheeseburger, bone marrow, prosciutto, duck egg, 12-ounce NY strip, and chef's selection, YIKES
Other menu items that are not easy to put in a bulleted list, unless you want to list them under "other," include salmon tartare, ceviche, and flatbreads that including char siu, Tex Mex, and short rib. Also, an assortment of salads and side dishes.
Trophy Park USA is located at 6770 Winning Dr., #900 in the same general area as Common Table and Ziziki's. You can't include Jiwahja, the Korean place, in that list since Jiawahja closed in September.
Trophy Park is keeping long hours: Sunday-Thursday from 11 am-midnight, and Friday-Saturday until 2 am.