For first time, Dallas makes list of Top 10 Vegan Cities in the U.S.
Dallas makes lots of lists but this one is perhaps not a list one might predict: 2019's Top 10 Vegan-Friendly Cities in the U.S. Huzzah.
The list is compiled annually by PETA, and this marks the first time Dallas has made it. According to a release, Dallas comes in #7, thanks to its abundance of vegan twists on classic Texan and Latin American dishes.
PETA has sent Dallas Mayor Eric Johnson a framed certificate.
PETA VP Tracy Reiman says in a statement what area vegans already know: That Dallas' vegan scene has blown up in the past couple of years and that we have many restaurants with vegan menus from which to choose.
"From tacos and tamales to a Tofurky Italian Sausage Stack, Big D boasts one of the biggest vegan dining scenes around," Reiman says. "The number of American vegans grew by 600 percent in just three years, and the cities on PETA's list are meeting the skyrocketing demand for animal-friendly fare."
Restaurants in Dallas serving animal-free food that get a shout-out from PETA include:
- Nuno's Tacos & Vegmex Grill, with its smoky chipotle jackfruit enchiladas
- Tiki Loco, with its Smokin' Hawaiian "Steak" Poke nachos drizzled with pineapple pico
- D'Vegan, which puts a vegan spin on traditional Vietnamese dishes
- V-Eats Modern Vegan, home to Country Fried "Steak" (deep-fried Portobello mushrooms with mushroom gravy)
- Itso Vegan, creator of the Nothing From the Sea Food Platter
- Da Munchies, serving a vegan Shrimp & Oyster Mushroom Po' boy
- Bam's Vegan at the Dallas Farmers Market, doing a tangy Jackfruit Ropa Vieja with beans, rice, and fried plantain
- Sugar Fang Vegan Bakery, vegan outpost at BrainDead Brewing Co. in Deep Ellum
- Reverie Bakeshop, the deluxe bakery and shop in Richardson
- El Palote Panaderia, Dallas' trailblazing all-vegan Mexican restaurant and bakery
- Spiral Diner & Bakery, the vegan stalwart, dishing out The Triple Double (Beyond Burger patty with grilled cheese sandwiches as the bun)
Even steakhouse king Al Biernat's is meeting vegan demand with animal-free options like the Tofurky Italian Sausage Stack and a meatless cheeseburger.
The No. 1 city on PETA's list is San Francisco. Rounding out the list are Los Angeles; New York City; Portland, Oregon; Detroit; Orlando, Florida; Nashville, Tennessee; Washington, D.C.; and Tulsa, Oklahoma.
PETA's motto reads that "animals are not ours to eat." For more information, visit PETA.org.