Downtown Dallas restaurant Cowboy Chow debuts with chili and chicken-fried steak
A high-profile restaurant in downtown Dallas is now open: Cowboy Chow, the new eatery in the AT&T Discovery District, has made its debut with a menu described as featuring "cuisines prevalent in the Western U.S."
Cowboy Chow replaces Jaxon Texas Kitchen & Beer Garden, the Discovery District's linchpin restaurant, which closed in late July after three years.
In August, Legends Hospitality was selected as the new management team at AT&T Discovery District, operating all dining, entertainment, and event experiences at the District.
Legends is the company co-founded by YGE Holdings, LLC, an affiliate of the New York Yankees, and Jones Concessions LP, an affiliate of the Dallas Cowboys and majority-owned by Sixth Street.
The menu at Cowboy Chow, featuring items such as chili, a burger, and green chile chicken chowder, was devised by Jack Gibbons, CEO of FB Society.
According to a release, it draws inspiration from Texas, New Mexico, and Mexico, with a modern interpretation of cowboy cuisine and cocktails, focused on value and quality.
Prices at lunch all fall below $20. Dinner prices range from $18.75 for chicken fried steak to $42.75 for a ribeye.
Lunch features starters such as:
- Hatch chile queso
- kale artichoke dip
- a flatbread with bacon
- Cowboy chili
- green chile chicken chowder
- steak & cornbread panzanella
- chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes & green beans
- steak & enchiladas
- green chile chicken with cheese enchiladas
- shrimp tacos
- taco trio with brisket, chicken, and tajin-spiced shrimp
- cheeseburger with chow sauce
- BBQ smashburger with brisket and whiskey BBQ sauce
- fried chicken sandwich with slaw
- cheesesteak with shaved ribeye on a toasted baguette
- chicken salad with dried cherries & pecans
- portabella sandwich with poblano pepper and mozzarella
Desserts include tres leches cake, butterscotch pudding with candied pecans, and chocolate mousse.
The dinner menu has a few more items including a chicken & beet salad, and a bowl with shrimp & ancient grains, plus a few more bigger entrees including pan-seared trout, ribeye with cheese enchiladas, airline chicken, and brisket stroganoff.
A kids’ menu has chicken tenders, a burger, mac & cheese, and chicken quesadilla.
Cocktails include a margarita, prickly pear gimlet, and a cucumber cactus cooler.