Ice Cream News
Latin-inspired gourmet ice cream from California makes its way to Dallas
A line of gourmet ice cream from the West Coast is now for sale in Dallas: Eva's Helado Artesanal, a superpremium ice cream inspired by Latin flavors, is available by the pints at Walmart stores in locations across Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, and Florida — including 60-plus stores in DFW.
Eva’s ice creams are made by McConnell’s Fine Ice Creams in Oxnard, California, who have built a 70-year legacy with their uniquely indulgent, made-from-scratch ice creams.
“Eva’s is about celebrating the Latinx culture of the Central Coast community in California that’s supported us for decades, as well as the personal family traditions and nostalgic flavors of our team members,” says McConnell's co-owner, and Eva's namesake, Eva Ein.
Considered a must-stop if you're traveling through Santa Barbara, McConnell's was already dabbling in Latin-themed flavors before launching Eva's, and some of those flavors became part of the Eva's product line when it debuted in 2021.
Their ice cream could previously be shipped — but shipping entailed a 4-pint minimum plus a $15 shipping charge.
In June, they signed an agreement with Walmart and the pints began making their way into local stores this summer. They can be found in more than 60 stores across DFW plus a dozen stores in Austin and a dozen-plus in San Antonio.
The seven flavors include:
- Dulce De Leche - Traditional Central and South American recipe of sweetened milk, cooked down to caramel, and swirled into cajeta-infused sweet cream
- Mexican Vanilla - A blend of sweet cream and Mexican vanilla
- Fresas Con Crema - Strawberries and strawberry jam stirred into sweet cream, plus an additional swirl of cream
- Cafe Con Donuts - Coffee ice cream and chunks of cinnamon-spiked donuts
- Horchata & Churro Swirl - Sweet cream infused with cinnamon, swirled with churro batter inspired by both Spanish and Mexican recipes
- Chocolate, Caramel, & Cookies - A traditional alfajor sandwich cookie, transformed: Dark chocolate ice cream, caramel swirl, and shortbread cookie pieces
- Mangoneada - Sorbet made from fresh mango puree with a tamarind chamoy swirl, summoning the refreshing Mexican treat
McConnell’s makes not only their ice creams, but all of the ingredients such as the cookies in the Dulce De Leche, the doughnuts in the Cafe Con Donuts, and the strawberry jam in Fresas Con Crema.
The ice cream recipes are unique. The Fresas Con Crema is not a strawberry ice cream: Instead it's a sweet cream ice cream swirled with strawberry jam. They achieve an extra-creamy consistency by including not only milk but also condensed milk.
“Eva’s is about celebrating culture—the gratitude we have for the larger McConnell’s family and the Central Coast community that’s supported us for decades,” Ein says. “The fondness I have for American traditions are often filtered through my love of the ingredients and flavors of my home country, Sweden. It’s that experience—looking at our shared culture, as well as the cultures that each of us come from originally—that inspired our team to develop Eva’s.”