The citizens of Wylie have a new, more convenient way to get educated, via a new campus of Collin College.
The highly anticipated Collin College Wylie Campus opened in August, across from the Wylie Municipal Complex, at 391 Country Club Rd.
It will provide specialized facilities for science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM), fine arts, education and health care, giving students the opportunity to gain relevant, real-world experience.
Additional educational programs include business management, insurance management, education and child development, hospitality management, real estate, and health professions such as certified nurse aid, phlebotomy technician, electrocardiograph technician, medical assisting advanced practice, and veterinary technology.
It's located on a greenfield site just under 100 acres, 44 of which were donated by the City of Wylie.
Construction on the campus was managed by Skanska, with three multi-story instructional buildings:
- Campus Library with a glass-enclosed rotunda, open seating areas, private study rooms and collaborative spaces. The library is home to the Honors Institute and the Anthony Peterson Center for Academic Assistance, which houses a math lab, writing center and a science den.
- Campus Commons that features a student Welcome Center, state-of-the-art science labs and the CougarFit fitness center. The Campus Commons also includes admissions, advising, career services, financial aid and veteran’s assistance offices, which includes a veteran’s resource center.
- Student Center with art studios, music practice rooms, a conference center offering high-tech amenities, Mama Lucido's café with a Starbucks bar, and Barnes & Noble bookstore.
Ooohh it has a Starbucks. Ba-zing.
Collin College District President Dr. Neil Matkin says in a release that it's been a long time coming, and thanks taxpayers and the college's many valued partners.
"Education has the power to change people's lives, and we believe that it should be readily accessible," Matkin says. "This striking campus offers a wide variety of programs and provides us the opportunity to offer a warm Collin College welcome to southeastern Collin County."
Collin College was founded in 1985, and currently has eight campuses in Allen, McKinney Plano, Frisco, and Rockwall.
The college has seen a growing number of students from Wylie. In 2019, the number of high school graduates who enrolled at Collin College came from:
- Frisco ISD - 920 students
- Plano ISD - 914 students
- McKinney ISD - 507 students
- Allen ISD - 437 students
- Wylie ISD - 349 students
In addition to Wylie, three other new campuses are in the works including a Technical Campus set to open in Allen this fall, and two campuses opening in fall 2021 in Celina and Farmersville.