This Week's Hot Headlines
Editor's note: Another week has come and gone, and there's a lot we all probably missed. But we're looking out for you, kid. Here are the most popular stories from this past week:
1. Tex-Mex restaurant Hacienda on Henderson throws in the towel. The casual Tex-Mex restaurant with the exuberant patio overlooking Henderson Avenue shut down abruptly last weekend. The owner could not be reached, but the restaurant's phone number was disconnected, and a former employee confirmed that the restaurant had shut down without notice. The landlord also confirmed the closure.
2. Southwest Airlines reveals new out-of-state nonstop flights from Dallas Love Field. On February 3, Southwest revealed 15 new nonstop flights from Love Field to popular cities across the country. Since 1979, the Wright Amendment has restricted where Dallas Love Field could provide nonstop service. That act will be repealed in October, paving the way for a new era of air travel.
3. Where to eat in Dallas right now: 10 meaty restaurants for February. If you follow the monthly dining recommendations of CultureMap Dallas (as well you should), you are coming off January's religious experience of tofu. You're feeling fit as a fiddle — but also a teensy bit emasculated. It's time to bring on the meat. And not just regular meat but extreme meat. The meatiest of the meat. MEAT.
4. Man kidnaps two women at gunpoint in broad daylight at Dallas park. Israel Tovar, 18, has been arrested and charged with aggravated kidnapping. According to Dallas police, Tovar kidnapped two women at gunpoint in Oak Cliff's Kiest Park around 2 pm on February 2.
5. Snowy city of Dallas declares 'Ice Force Level 1' in effect. Light snow flurries fell across the entire Dallas-Fort Worth area on February 6, prompting the City of Dallas' Department of Street Services to issue an alert. "Street Services has now activated its sanding operations Ice Force Level 1 throughout the city to make the roads safe for motorists," it reads. The hashtag #ICEFORCEONE trended briefly on Twitter.