This week's hot headlines
Closure of Lawry's the Prime Rib leads this week's 5 hottest Dallas headlines
Editor's note: A lot happened this week, so here's your chance to get caught up. Read on for the week's most popular headlines. Looking for the best things to do this weekend? Find that list here.
1. Lawry's the Prime Rib to close Dallas location after 40 years. After 40 years of serving the Dallas community, Lawry’s The Prime Rib is closing. According to a release, the restaurant will permanently close its doors this March. The closure stems from the restaurant's decision to sell the building, located at 14655 Dallas Pkwy., to a new owner.
2. Frontier Airlines adds 13 new destinations out of DFW airport with $19 fares. Ultra-low fare carrier Frontier Airlines is adding new nonstop service from airports across the U.S. and internationally in spring 2024 — including DFW Airport. The Denver-based carrier is adding 13 new destinations out of DFW, including Houston, Chicago, Nashville, and Los Angeles. The new service begins in April.
3. DART gets heavily into vinyl with new seating on Dallas trains & buses. In the debate over cloth versus vinyl, vinyl wins: Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART) is replacing the fabric seats on its buses and trains with new seats made of vinyl. They began the second phase of a program on January 22, piloting one light rail vehicle and one Dallas Streetcar vehicle.
4. Dallas' revered Greenville Avenue Pizza chain closes one location. A small, beloved Dallas pizza chain has closed one of its three locations: Greenville Avenue Pizza Company has closed its restaurant in Richardson. GAPCo owners Sammy and Molly Mandell closed the location originally in December, with a plan to re-evaluate the concept and re-open in January. They've decided to not move forward with that plan.
5. East Texas man arrested for leaving dogs out in freezing weather to die. In another case of animal cruelty in Van Zandt County, 60 miles east of Dallas, the SPCA of Texas rescued 10 dogs that were left out during the cold freeze on January 16, and arrested the owner.