Hottest headlines of 2023
Debutantes and celebrities star in Dallas' hottest society stories of 2023
Editor's note: As we look back at the most-read society stories from 2023, we see Dallas philanthropists filling the tables and dance floors at lavish luncheons and gorgeous galas. Debutantes make their debut on the most-read list, and big celebrity appearances (including a star-studded wedding) round out the slate. Here are the 10 most popular society stories of the year:
1. Country music bad boy Morgan Wallen headlines ACM Awards benefit show in Dallas-Fort Worth. Dallas-Fort Worth was the center of the country music universe on May 11, when the 58th Academy of Country Music Awards took place The Star in Frisco. There were many big events leading up to it. First was supposed to be a benefit concert headlined by Morgan Wallen. However, the day of the event, Wallen canceled his appearance due to illness and was been replaced by Jason Aldean as headliner.
Morgan Wallen was out, Jason Aldean was in for a big ACMs fundraiser. Photo courtesy of Morgan Wallen
2. Dallas Symphony debutantes put their best bow forward at 2023 Presentation Ball. Executing the most athletic feat ever attempted in a ginormous white ballgown, 26 debutantes took their "Texas Dip" into society at the 37th Annual Dallas Symphony Orchestra League Presentation Ball on February 11. A few months later, 44 new DSOL Dallas debs began their preparation for the 2024 Presentation Ball with glam parties and glorious gowns.
Elena Dewar doing her "Texas dip." Photo by Gittings
3. Kristin Chenoweth's dreamy Dallas wedding includes 7-Eleven Slurpees and 'Wicked' Margaritas. Tony- and Emmy-winning actress and singer Kristin Chenoweth married musician Josh Bryant in Dallas on September 2, and according to People magazine's exclusive invitation to the wedding, the star-studded celebration was filled with Dallas-y details.
4. Save the date for these 13 must-attend Dallas galas and luncheons of spring 2023. With the busy 2022 holiday season behind us, it was time to start looking forward to all the bounties of spring - glitzy galas and lavish luncheons that would benefit beloved nonprofits. Later in the year, we previewed Dallas' 11 most glam galas and lavish luncheons of fall.
5. Cowboys greats team up to score $2 million at 2023 Children's Cancer Fund gala. Sports stars, big celebrities, and generous philanthropists - including Troy Aikman and Dak Prescott - came together for the Children's Cancer Fund 2023 "Light It Up" Gala on April 21 to help shine a light for kids who've experienced some darkness in their lives.
Troy Aikman, Blake Stephenson, Heather Randall, Dak Prescott Photo by BFA and Tamytha Cameron
6. Hot-to-trot Dallasites raise more than $550K for Equest at 2023 Blue Ribbon Ball. A brief rain shower didn't dampen spirits at Equest's outdoor Blue Ribbon Ball - in fact, it was welcome respite for 550 attendees on a June night.
7. Dallas socialites delight in summer designs at Crystal Charity 10 Best Dressed event. Dallas fashionistas didn't need to travel to New York Fashion Week for a high-profile runway show — designer Adam Lippes debuted his spring/summer 2024 collection as part of the 48th annual Crystal Charity Ball Ten Best Dressed Women of Dallas event. The luncheon was a run-up to the grand dame of all Dallas galas, the 2023 Crystal Charity Ball, which lived up to its theme, "Masterpieces in the Making."
Lisa-Adelle O'Brien, Dee Dee Kiehn, Nardos Imam, Emily Ash Photo by Ashley Gongora
8. Dallas Cattle Baron's Ball celebrates 50 years with iconic gala starring Shania Twain. The word “Iconic” proved the perfect theme for the 50th anniversary Cattle Baron’s Ball. From record-breaking auction items to headliner Shania Twain, the 2023 edition of Dallas' ultimate Western-glam party was one for the ages. More than 3,400 patrons packed the grounds of Southfork Ranch on October 14 for the big bash benefiting American Cancer Society.
9. Nicole Kidman turns up star power to raise $1.1 million at Dallas' Genesis Luncheon. The morning after watching her husband, Keith Urban, open the ACM Awards show in Frisco with an electrifying performance, Nicole Kidman turned up her own star power as the keynote speaker for Genesis Women's Shelter & Support's 30th annual Luncheon.
Jan Langbein, Nicole Kidmandallas.culturemap.com
10. Majestic Mad Hatter's takes English garden-party elegance to new heights in Dallas. The big Coronation may have been a few days and an ocean away, but Dallas style queens donned their own crowns for a decidedly regal 35th Mad Hatter's Luncheon on April 20 at the Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Garden. With the theme "Majestic Mad Hatters - A Celebration of English Elegance," organizers set a dignified tone that paid homage to the late Queen Elizabeth II.